EDITOR’S NOTE 09/1/15: This promotion has ended, however, all new and existing accounts can still access the WP Engine Automated Migration Tool. Just visit the “Site Migration” link on your install. Your new install email will also contain a link to the migration tool.
If you’ve ever migrated a site, you know how painful it can be. It’s a gargantuan chore, and is often time-consuming and expensive.
You typically have two choices when it comes to a site migration: pay a contractor to perform the migration for you, or attempt to do it yourself and take on the responsibility, complexity, and technical know-how a site migration requires.
You need a quicker, easier, and more affordable way.
Today we launch WP Engine Automated Migration, a new solution that eliminates the hardest, most complicated steps it typically takes to fully migrate a site to our managed WordPress hosting platform. Available now, the WP Engine Automated Migration plugin makes site migrations frictionless, dramatically reducing the time and work required of developers, and eliminating the technical overhead for marketers. And for the next 48 hours, we’re offering WP Engine Automated Migration for free to new customers who sign up for an annual WP Engine Personal, Professional, or Business plan.
It’s simple to migrate your WordPress site to WP Engine (see the video below for a quick walk through). After you sign up for a WP Engine annual plan using coupon code MIGRATETOWPE, here are the steps required:
- Obtain your WP Engine SFTP credentials (you’ll receive an email linking to our User Portal page where you’ll receive your auto-generated SFTP credentials)
- Log into WordPress
- Install the WP Engine Automated Migration plugin
- Provide your email, your temporary .wpengine.com URL, and your SFTP credentials to start the migration
- Spend time with loved ones, grab a long lunch with a friend or co-worker, get some work done, take a nap (what you do while your files and data migrate is totally up to you, these are just some suggestions)
- Receive an email telling you the migration is complete
- Verify your site is working by going to the sitename.wpengine.com URL
- If everything is good to go, use the plugin again with the same email and SFTP credentials but provide your live URL (This will pick up any remaining pieces of the site that have been added since the last migration and setup your domain to work with WP Engine.)
That’s it. Really. That is it. Your site is fully migrated to the WP Engine platform. Now it’s time to change your DNS, then you’ll be leveraging the scalability, security, speed, and support that makes WP Engine the hands-down leader in managed WordPress hosting.
The length of time a migration takes will vary depending on the amount of data that is transferred. The average migration takes less than an hour. For sites with a small amount of data, the migration could take as little as 30 minutes. If you’ve got a huge site with tons of data, it could take up to 24 hours. Even if the data transfer takes a day, the amount of work that falls to you will take only about two minutes.
And if you need any extra assistance along the way, you have WP Engine’s world-class Support Team available to help.
There you have it. A full site migration to the WP Engine platform in just a few simple steps; and you don’t have to pay someone else to do it for you, or take on the responsibility of doing it yourself. WP Engine Automated Migration is just one of the many ways WP Engine powers amazing digital experiences on WordPress.
For the next 48 hours, WP Engine Automated Migration is available for free to new customers who sign up for an annual Personal, Professional, or Business plan. And don’t forget, annual plans get two months free! That’s a free two months of WP Engine managed WordPress hosting and a free migration to our platform. It doesn’t get much better than that.
To take advantage of this limited-time offer, sign up for an annual WP Engine Personal, Professional, or Business plan now and enjoy a free, automated migration to our managed WordPress hosting platform. Use coupon code MIGRATETOWPE to get started. Note: you must select an annual plan when signing up to take advantage of this offer.