How to recover access
If you have lost your password for the WP Engine User Portal, you can initiate a password reset. If you no longer have access to the email address on file with us, any Owner on the account can update your email address or create a new user account for you. Even if you have (or should have) Owner privileges, another Owner can do these things for you.
Recovering access if you are the sole owner
If you are the only Owner, have lost your password, and no longer have access to the email address on file with us, there are two remaining options:
- If you need access to your account in the absence of an authenticated Owner, WP Engine will require a valid order from a court of competent jurisdiction showing that you are the lawful owner of the account and should be granted administrative access.
- Alternatively, if you can log in to your site and are able to verify the last 4 digits of your credit card number or other billing details, you can do the following:
- Log in to your site;
- Download a fresh backup of your site or sites;
- Create a new WP Engine account;
- Restore your site backup(s) to the new account;
- And cancel billing for the old account.
- This last step is where you will need your relevant billing details, because we can’t close the old account without a valid Owner, but we can cease billing with validation of the billing details. The old account will eventually close when billing becomes past due.
We realize neither of these options is ideal, but please understand that our account authentication and recovery processes stem from our desire to protect the security of your account. Of course, diligence in maintaining accurate user and account information is the best solution, and can prevent problems like this from arising.