SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is a way of encrypting the traffic that comes to and from your site to keep your visitors’ personal data secure. The use of SSL security is vital for any website that handles sensitive visitor information, such as credit card data.
When should I use SSL?
SSL is strongly recommended for any website that handles customer data that should be kept private. This can include credit card or other financial information, or personal data like home addresses, phone numbers, and more.
How much of my WordPress site should be secured by SSL?
WP Engine gives you the ability to SSL secure only certain pages on your WordPress installation or secure your entire site, simply, using the SSL options within your my.wpengine.com user portal. For example, if your WordPress installation is running WooCommerce, an online shopping cart system, you may want to only secure checkout page where payment information is entered. You might also secure the account login, and any account URLs, since the user’s login credentials and private address information will be entered on those pages, but you also have the option to secure your entire site if you desire.
I heard Google ranks SSL secured sites better than non-secured sites. Is that true?
Google has recently announced that it will give a small rankings boost to sites that utilize SSL encryption. This gives websites a minimal ranking benefit, counting as a “very lightweight signal” within the overall ranking algorithm. While that is the case, WP Engine offers the ability to secure your entire site at the click of a button, using the “Secure all URLs” options on the SSL page in your my.wpengine.com user portal.
- Do I need to change my CDN configuration to make it work with SSL?
- Yes, if you have CDN configured, you will need to open a 24/7 Live Chat to have our support team enable SSL on your CDN
- I have WooCommerce, do I need to do anything special?
- Yes, ensure that you do not have any force HTTP/HTTPs settings turned on in the WooCommerce plugin, and instead set those force paths through the SSL options on the SSL page in your my.wpengine.com user portal.
- Should I buy a WP Engine SSL certificate?
- WP Engine offers the ability to purchase a certificate directly from us, to simplify the installation, management, and renewal of your certificate. If you prefer to buy a certificate from a 3rd party and are on a professional or higher plan, you may install it via your my.wpengine.com user portal.