October preceded new updates with the latest release of WordPress 6.1 dropping on November 1, 2022 which meant Build Mode Live sessions focused heavily on the future of WordPress.
What is Build Mode
Live conversations with the community about modern WordPress, the future of the Site Editor, and how it all impacts site builders. Co-hosted by Sam Munoz & Brian Gardner.
This month we hosted three Build Mode Live calls. Most of the conversations centered around possibilities and opportunities in the WordPress ecosystem. Calls centered topics such as: products, plugins, themes, single-block plugins, and more.
- There is a shared desire for depth in the WordPress editor (much of which has been addressed with the latest 6.1 release) including consistency across block settings.
- Many builders and developers prefer to continue using ACF instead of the block editor.
- There was a lot of excitement around the idea of a “single block plugin” and what all could be accomplished or monetized around those ideas.
Resources & Links
We share a lot of resources during these sessions, here are some of the most valuable references made this month:
- Getwid – a collection of Gutenberg blocks to extend core
- “WordPress.org is ineffective for plugin distribution in 2022” – on Ellipsis
- WordPress Accessibility – Facebook Group
- The Case for the WordPress Plugin Freemium Model – by Matt Cromwell
- Create Block Reference Guide – WordPress Developer Docs
- Atomic Design – by Brad Frost
- Gutenberg Best Practices – by 10up
- Creating Dynamic Blocks – WordPress Developer Docs
- Create Your First Custom Block – on Learn WordPress
What’s Next for Build Mode
We will continue hosting some topic based conversations in November. Here are some topics we may include:
- A discussion around the updates included in WordPress 6.1.
- What is missing from the core of WordPress? What should be in core and what should be an extension of WordPress?
- When to use static blocks? When to use dynamic blocks?
- Responsiveness – what can WordPress core already do?
If you are interested in attending an upcoming Build Mode session, you can sign up using this link and join us.
Here’s the list of November 2022’s sessions. All calls are at 11 am ET:
- November 4, 2022
- November 11, 2022
- November 18, 2022
Until next time, start building! 🛠