Best WordPress Themes for Photographers
When displaying photography on your WordPress site, it’s wise to choose a theme that’s optimized for displaying images. However, whether you’re a hobbyist or running a photography business, there are a lot of themes to choose from. Researching which one is right for you can be time-consuming.
Luckily, we’ve done some of the legwork for you. By taking a close look at the unique features available in some of the top free and premium WordPress photography themes, you’re almost guaranteed to find the one that meets your specific needs.
In this article, we’ll review five of the best free WordPress themes for photographers, as well as five of the best premium options. We’ll take a look at their key features and what, if any, drawbacks there might be to their functionality. Let’s get started!
What Makes a Great Photography Theme?
There are several important aspects to consider when looking for your perfect photography theme. One is to make sure your theme is optimized for fast page loading. Since image files tend to be on the large side, you don’t want to weigh your site down even more with a slow theme.
Additionally, options for high-quality gallery displays can help you show off your photos in their best light. Mobile responsive design will help your content look its best even on the smallest of screens.
5 Best Free WordPress Themes for Photographers
If you’re a hobbyist and simply want to display your images online for your personal satisfaction, a free theme can help keep your passion affordable. Likewise, professional photographers who are just starting out and need a low-cost portfolio to attract their first clients may also appreciate these free themes.
PhotoPerfect is a responsive photography theme with easy-to-use – though limited – customization options. This theme will, however, display your work in stunning grid layouts and is ideal for establishing your new brand online.
- Customizable: PhotoPerfect includes customizable header images, widgets, menus, and CSS options.
- Layout choices: You’ll have four layout options for your sidebar, as well as two archive layouts.
- Responsive: This theme is built for a mobile-friendly experience.
Hitchcock is a portfolio theme for designers and photographers alike. With over 320,000 downloads, its minimalistic style is a popular choice among creatives. Hitchcock is also packed with useful features and options.
- Customizable: This theme offers the option to pick your accent colors, upload your own logo, and change your background image.
- JetPack-ready: Hitchcock is built with Jetpack’s Infinite Scroll functionality in mind, and offers users the ability to extend the page and keep browsing your work.
- Responsive: Not only is this theme responsive but it’s also retina ready, supports gallery post formats, offers Block and Classic Editor support, and more.
Pixagraphy is primed for helping you create a professional photography or creative website. With tested cross-browser compatibility and responsive design, you’ll be on the right path when showcasing your photos with this theme.
- Compatible: Pixagraphy’s free theme is fully compatible with many popular plugins, such as WooCommerce, WPForms, bbPress, and more.
- Customizable: You can choose from several blog layout options, sidebars, and social icons.
- Responsive: This theme is also built to be responsive and optimized for fast load times.
Described as a minimal, simple, and clean theme with an elegant design, Infinite Photography is ready for all kinds of devices. There are many customizable elements in this theme, including logos and layouts.
- Customizable: With this theme, you’ll have lots of control over your page layouts, sidebar placements, color options, custom CSS, and copyright text options for your footer area.
- Social media-ready: Linking to your social media accounts is easy with Infinite Photography’s social media icons.
- Featured images: The features section can be customized with a header image and content, so you can easily put your best work in the spotlight.
With over 8,000 active downloads, Fotografie is a popular free theme offering high-quality options and minimalistic design. A bonus with this free theme is a Hero Content option for use on your home page or the entire site.
- Responsive: With a responsive design optimized for iPhones, iPads, and other mobile devices, this theme eliminates the need to zoom and scroll.
- Customizable: Built on a Catch Theme Framework, this theme provides an extensive menu of theme options for adjusting layouts, colors, fonts, and logos, as well as turning features on and off.
- Standardized: Fotografie is programmed with code that is secure and optimized with proper data validation that follows WordPress core standards.
5 Best Premium WordPress Themes for Photography
If you rely on your photography website to bring in clients or otherwise contribute to your income, it may be wise to invest in a premium WordPress theme. Their additional features and support can make showing off your talents easier and more effective.
Tripod is a professional WordPress photography theme with multiple gallery types, built-in WooCommerce support, a drag-and-drop template builder, and more. This premium theme also includes features such as Facebook commenting and retina-ready, responsive design.
- Voting: Tripod features a built-in ‘like’ system that enables users to show their appreciation for your photos and boost their popularity.
- Page template builder: Available for posts and pages, you can achieve an effortless design with Tripod’s drag-and-drop template builder.
- Layout choices: Create multiple layouts for your images such as grid views, thumbnails, mosaics, or list views.
Price: $65 for a standard license
Listed as the “#1 selling photography theme”, Photography boasts over 70 different page designs, one-click import functionality, widgets, menus, and sliders. In addition to its prime display options, it includes several features that make it easy to generate revenue from your work.
- eCommerce-ready. All Photography photo gallery templates support direct purchase links so you can monetize your work instantly.
- Client-friendly. If you work with clients, you’ll appreciate Photography’s client-related functionality. It enables you to offer private client logins and archive pages for photo proofing and sharing.
- Fast. Images can bog down your site, but this theme offers advanced progressive loading to improve your site’s speed drastically.
Price: $59 for a six-month license
JPhotolio is what you’re looking for if you need unlimited portfolios and endless style and color choices. If you’re looking to inspire site visitors who might be shopping for a wedding photographer, you can also include a continuous playlist of classic wedding songs to get them in the mood.
- SEO-ready. With Search Engine Optimization (SEO) in mind, this theme is highly crawlable. It includes a sitemap, making even portfolios and feature sliders open for search engine indexing.
- Client-friendly. You’ll be a client favorite with password-protected portfolios and download options for all your work.
- Video support. This theme’s front slider comes with a special video support feature for easy video integration.
Price: $44 for a six-month license
- Genesis-backed. With the Genesis Framework behind it, you can feel confident that Fearless is optimized for speed, responsive, and secure.
- Layout options. With four blog page layouts and 11 gallery options, you’ll be ready to make a splash with this theme.
- Customizable. This theme features multiple widget areas and a front-page slideshow for displaying your content. It also includes built-in eCommerce functionality
Price: $69 per year
Photocrati offers a 60-day, no questions asked, money-back guarantee, so there’s no reason not to test out this beautiful theme. It includes more than 60 starting designs, four built-in lightboxes, filmstrip galleries, and more. This theme is great for the photographer looking to quickly establish a brand and monetize their photography.
- eCommerce-ready. Photocrati comes with built-in eCommerce galleries, and integrates easily with PayPal to offer unlimited print options and customer layout styles.
- Widget-friendly. With more widgets than you can shake a stick at, Photocrati can help you share key content across your site.
- Protected. One of the best features in a photography theme might be the ability to disable right-clicks, to prevent site visitors from easily copying your images. In this way, Photocrati can keep your work safe.
Price: $99 per year
Display Your Best Works With WP Engine
WordPress offers the flexibility and customization you need to display your best images to the world. Now that we’ve captured close-ups of ten top-notch free and premium photography themes, you can select the one that best suits your hobby or professional needs.
Then, you can consider backing that theme up with support from WP Engine. We can help you display and secure your work with high-quality hosting plans that will help your site stay up and running smoothly!