Best WordPress Food Plugins and Themes
Whether you’re a home cook, a French pastry master, or a food truck owner, you might have a culinary website that could use a fresh look. If you’re not sure where to start with WordPress themes and plugins for your food blog, you’re in the right place.
Since WordPress is the most widely-used Content Management System (CMS) on the market, there are a lot of themes and plugins to choose from. Depending on your budget, you should be able to find what you need to manage every aspect of your food-related website.
In this article, we’ll take a look at five quality food-related themes for WordPress. Then we’ll tour five plugins that can add dynamic functionality to your food or restaurant website. Grab an apron and let’s get cooking!
WordPress for Food Bloggers
Food has become quite an art form online in the past several years. If you’re looking to start a food blog, therefore, now is the perfect time. Fortunately, WordPress has an excellent array of options for food-related blogs and other websites.
If you’re familiar with the WordPress platform, you’ll know one of its key features is that you can get up and running quickly. You’ll just need the following elements first:
- A website host: Here at WP Engine, we’ve perfected WordPress hosting and have many plans available.
- A domain name: A lot of web hosts offer domain name options, so you might want to consider making sure the name you want is available.
- A WordPress theme: There are a lot of dazzling WordPress themes to choose from, but they are not all created equal.
- Food plugins: From nutrition labelling and calorie counters to recipe cards and menus, you can find plenty of plugin options to add new features to your site.
Once you have these ingredients together, you’ll be able to get your food blog off the ground in no time.
WordPress for Culinary Businesses & Restaurants
It’s not just ‘foodies’ who can benefit from WordPress functionality either. If you own a restaurant, for example, there are plugins for creating gorgeous menus for your website. What’s more, WordPress includes many eCommerce options for selling your food online.
Another benefit to using WordPress for your restaurant or business is the wide selection of food-friendly themes. These will enable you to customize the look of your website to match your niche and customer base perfectly.
As we mentioned, there are lots of food-friendly themes out there. Let’s look at five of the best options, and see what they have to offer.
1. Foodie Pro
Foodie Pro is touted as the most flexible Genesis theme to date. It has a minimalist style and is packed with options.
- Widgets. This theme comes with lots of widget areas for extended functionality. With three home page widget areas and five site-wide options, you can put extra features just about anywhere.
- Mobile-ready. Foodie Pro is a mobile responsive theme. That means your favorite customers can get a list of today’s specials on the go.
- Options. This Genesis framework theme has multiple layouts to choose from. Additionally, there are several ready-to-go templates and a theme customizer for flexibility and control.
Price: This is a premium theme, which you can get in a bundle with the Genesis Framework for $129.95.
Neptune is packed with features. For example, do you hate scrolling forever to get to the recipe part of a food blog post? To solve that problem, this theme comes with a mode that enables you to focus only on what you need to cook your meal.
- Fonts: This theme comes with over 700 fonts, so you can choose the look that’s unique to your food or recipe.
- Timer: Neptune offers an innovative timer feature, so your site’s visitors can cook along with your recipes.
- Sidebars: Another interesting option is this theme’s smart and ‘sticky’ sidebars, which will follow your readers as they scroll down the page.
Price: You can pick up this premium theme for $69.
- Gutenberg-ready: Clean and minimalistic, Daily Dish Pro is designed for the Block Editor experience.
- Integrations: If you’re using HubSpot for sales and marketing, key assets such as live chat, pop-ups, and contact forms can be auto-generated with this theme’s default styling.
- Responsive: It won’t matter what device your customers or visitors are using, since this theme adapts to different screen sizes on the fly.
Price: This theme and the Genesis Framework come in a package for $99.95.
Foodica is a sleek, magazine-style theme that’s great for food blogs or recipe vaults. It looks stylish out of the box, but can also be easily tweaked to match your own vision.
- Integrations: Foodica comes ready with WooCommerce integrations, so you have the option to set up shop quickly.
- Recipes: This theme has a built-in recipe index function, so your recipes are more likely to be found by visitors.
- Customizations: You’ll have 10 color schemes to choose from with this theme, so you can select the colors that best suit your style.
Price: There’s a free ‘lite’ version you can try, or you can get the full theme for $69.
This fun and quirky theme has 12 home page styles to choose from. Superfood is colorful, lively, and loaded with some bonus features that can make your food blog unique.
- Builder: The WPBakery Page Builder is included with this powerhouse of a theme.
- Plugins: Another added value is the included Slider Revolution plugin, which normally costs $26.
- Fonts: SuperFood is stuffed with four different font packs and over 800 Google fonts.
Price: You can pick up a Superfood license for $75.
Food & Restaurant Plugins
Once you have your theme picked out, it’s time to sample all the tasty plugins WordPress has to offer for your food or restaurant website. Let’s highlight five helpful plugins that are specifically designed for food-related sites.
RestaurantPress is a beautiful menu plugin that offers you a lot of control over how to display your offerings. Its key features include regular and sale price options, and a responsive design. You can also create multiple menu groupings, and display special menus for holidays or events.
Price: This plugin is free, although there’s a premium WooCommerce add-on.
WP Recipe Maker is a powerful plugin that makes adding a recipe to any page or post easy. It also uses automatic JSON-LD metadata, a function that can help to boost your Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Plus, your recipes will be fully searchable and ‘pinnable’ with support for Pinterest Rich Pins.
Price: You can try this plugin for free, or get the premium version starting at $49.
This innovative plugin creates a ‘nutrition label’ custom post type that can be used to feature nutritional information. Easy Nutrition Facts Label provides options for several different units of measurement, and various types of nutrition facts.
Price: This simple plugin is completely free to use.
The Food Truck Locations & Times plugin is specifically designed to provide a dynamic schedule that helps customers find your truck wherever it happens to be. You can highlight locations for today, tomorrow, and upcoming days as well. This plugin also integrates smoothly with Google Maps.
Price: You can use this plugin without paying a cent.
Finally, the Food and Drink Menu plugin is a sophisticated approach to organizing your menu items. With this tool, you can create both Menu and Menu Item custom post types. This enables you to then mix and match your unlimited items to create custom menus.
Price: You can choose this plugin’s free tier, or get the premium version for $25.
Create an Amazing Food Blog on WP Engine
WordPress provides an extensive directory of beautiful themes and dynamic plugins. When you use them to showcase your unique food business or blog, you’ll be well-placed to attract an audience and get them hooked.
Here at WP Engine, we want you to have the best WordPress resources out there. That’s why, after putting such care into creating your food website, you might want to consider backing up your theme and plugins with support from WP Engine. Opting for one of our many hosting plans will ensure that your site stays up and running smoothly!