The WP Engine API allows you the ability to interact with our platform programmatically. In this article, we will help you understand how to enable the WP Engine API on your account and generate your API credentials.
Enabling the API
To enable the API for your account, you must be the account owner. Once logged into the User Portal (https://my.wpengine.com), follow these steps:
- Go to Hi <name> (at the top) -> My Profile -> API Access or https://my.wpengine.com/api_access
- Clicking “Manage” next to the account you would like to enable API access for.
- Now you can Toggle the API on for the account. After it’s toggled on, click “Generate Credentials” to get back to the API Access page.
After the API is turned on for the account, you can generate your user credentials that will be used to authenticate with the API.
- Click the “Generate Credentials” button at the top right of the screen
- This will generate the credential required to connect to the API for this account. Copy the username and password to a safe place.
Note: The same level of access you have in the User Portal will be assigned to the API access. For example, if you user only has access to certain installs on the account, you will only be able to make API calls to those installs.
From there, you can go to wpengineapi.com to learn how to authenticate with the API and learn more about the endpoints available.