This article will explain the details around our Copy Install tool in the User Portal as well as provide step by step instructions on using the tool.
How to copy an install from within the user portal to a new install
With the Copy Install tool, you can copy any installation on your account to a new install. In order to utilize the Copy Install tool, please log in to the User Portal and click on the ‘Installs’ tab.
2. From this page, you will have
- A field to enter the install’s name
- A checkbox to select if you want it to be a transferable install
- A drop down to select the Environment Label
- A drop down to select the source install to copy from. By default, the install you were on previously will be populated, but you can select any other install on your account
3. Once all of the information here has been confirmed, click ‘Create Install’ and you will be greeted with a message that the process has started. You will receive an email once it has concluded.
Note: You will need to change the WP-Config file if you are planning on changing the Home and Site URL for the newly copied site. Here is a guide on doing so.
If you’re looking to copy your site to an existing install, please refer to our Deploy Site process.
Files Excluded During Copy Site
.*~ (These are typically drafts of files edited with a command line text editor)
.*/_wpeprivate (This directory is typically used for short term file storage)
A note on Transferable installs
In Copy Install, you will see that there is an option to “Create a transferable install”. Transferable installs can be moved from one account to another, this is helpful it you are building a website for a client, or wish to allow someone else to pay for the site. Transferable installs are Password Protected for both Live and Staging, until they are transferred. To learn more about about Transferable installs, please refer to our Bill Transfer article. We also have dedicated articles for Developers building on Transferable Installs and for Clients receiving a Transferable Installs