A new release is on the horizon! 🌅
As with each release, there are countless hours of testing to make sure the overall experience is bug-free and optimized. WordPress 6.1 is targeted to be released on November 1. Right now, you can help by testing, testing, testing.
Local is the go-to tool to create a WordPress sandbox and effortlessly develop WordPress sites locally, and with Local you can get testing in seconds. Here are a few options to get you started.
- Option 1: WP-CLI + Local
- Option 2: Local + WordPress Beta Tester plugin
- Option 3: Local Blueprint (Recommended)
Download the latest Local
Option 1: WP-CLI + Local
If you already have an existing site in Local then you can just upgrade it to the latest beta with WP-CLI. Here is how:
- Right-click on your site and choose ‘Open site shell’, which will open your system’s terminal application and automatically launch WP-CLI.
- Once WP-CLI is launched then just run this command:
wp core update --version=6.1-beta3
Option 2: Local + WordPress Beta Tester plugin
If you already have a Local site then you can install the WordPress Beta Tester plugin and get the latest beta.
- Visit your WordPress dashboard’s Appearance > Plugins, and choose ‘Add New‘
- Search and install the WordPress Beta Tester plugin
- Once activated, visit the Tools > Beta Testing area and update the settings to get the latest beta (select the “Bleeding edge” channel and “Beta/RC Only” stream).
Option 3: Local Blueprint FTW!
Save a few clicks and just import our custom Local Blueprint, which comes with everything installed and ready for testing: WordPress Beta Tester plugin with WP 6.1 beta-3 already up-to-date and the new Twenty Twenty-Three theme (featuring two style variations from our WP Engine DevRel team: Brian Gardner’s Sherbet and Whisper from your’s truly) activated.
Just click the download button below and drag and drop the downloaded
WordPress-Beta-Tester_6-1_beta3.zip into your Local app to spin up a new site and get testing!
(Note: the super secret WordPress username and password for the Blueprint is
Reach out to @WPEBuilders and let us know how you’re using Local and what you’re testing in the latest WordPress 6.1 beta release.