At WP Engine, we strive to ensure every customer has a great experience, which includes a seamless migration from your old host to WP Engine. One of the great features of our platform is our WP Engine Automated Migration Tool, which you can use to easily migrate your site’s content and database with one click.
If you’re unable to use our Automated Migration Tool, or simply prefer the manual method, that’s okay too! We have a helpful checklist available from your User Portal which offers guided navigation through the entire Manual Migration process. It also offers some useful tools to help guide you, such as:
- One-button site preview–This unique and powerful tool allows you to simply press a button to preview your site in a new tab before you complete the migration.
- DNS propagation detection–Because DNS propagation can sometimes take some time, we’ll let you know that you’ve successfully migrated DNS to WP Engine with an email notification.
- Tracking migration progress–Exporting your database and wp-content folder from your old host and importing them both into the WP Engine platform.
- Personalized instructions–SFTP credentials and domain configuration
Most sites will be able to use the WP Engine Automated Migration plugin to get their content and database to WP Engine. However, for those who are unable to use this plugin, this guide will assist you with the steps to migrate your site manually.
Accessing the manual migration checklist
- Login to the User Portal
- Click on the environment name you wish to migrate to
- Click Site Migration
- Click Manually migrate your site
- Use the checkboxes on the left to keep track of your progress.
- Some checkboxes will automatically complete once you save or update information for those steps, such as adding a domain or changing SFTP credentials.
Manual migration checklist steps
- Setup: These steps involve setting up your WP Engine User Portal to make the following export and import steps easy for you.
- Update: These steps ensure your website content is ready to move to WP Engine before exporting it for the move.
- Export: These steps walk you through exporting your existing website’s content in preparation of importing it to WP Engine.
- Import: These steps involve importing the database and content you prepared and exported in the previous steps.
- Verify: These steps simply verify your website is ready for launch in the upcoming step by previewing your content and syncing any new changes or posts.
- Launch: Configure DNS and go live with your site.
- Optional: These steps could be very important for your website. Be sure to review and see if you need to bring over or add an SSL certificate, or add redirects for your domain.