GeoTarget is a user segmentation system that allows users the ability to show different content or perform different actions based on the geolocation of their visitors. The GeoTarget system is unique in that it also plays nicely with cache. Using WP Engine’s proprietary, multi-tiered caching system (Evercache), page content is cached as separate objects for separate regions. This allows your site to show customized content, while still retaining the ability to scale through waves of traffic!
In this section we will outline the recommended steps to fully activate the functionality. After GeoTarget is enabled, users can create geographically-specific content and PHP functions using the proper GeoTarget variables.
1. Purchase GeoTarget add-on
You may add the GeoTarget add-on to any Startup, Growth, or Scale plan during the initial checkout process.
If you have an existing account, reach out to your Account Manager or add GeoTarget to your plan from User Portal > Billing > Modify Plan.
Customers on Business or dedicated hosting plans will have GeoTarget included at no cost.
2. Add the WP Engine GeoTarget plugin
- Login to your website’s wp-admin dashboard area
- Click Plugins and select Add New
- Search for WP Engine GeoTarget
- Install and Active the GeoTarget plugin
3. Contact Support to enable a GeoTarget profile
Finally, you will need to contact our Support team to enable the GeoTarget profile for the environment(s) on which you wish to use the feature. This profile defines the “buckets” that GeoTarget can use on each site.
Contact WP Engine Support and provide the following information:
- Environment name(s) for GeoTarget
- Bucket(s) to enable
- Support PIN for verification
- Your user must have access to all environments for which you are enabling GeoTarget.
GeoTarget is able to sort visitors into specific geographic caching “buckets”. Ideally you will choose the broadest bucket(s) that achieves your goals. In most cases 1 bucket is enough, however we do not recommend using more than 2 buckets.
The more specific and granular the bucket, the more segmented your cache will be. The more cache segments, the less effective cache is. This will impact performance as your traffic scales. Wider geographic buckets are best for both cacheability and scalability.
Available caching buckets:
After Enabling GeoTarget
Once you have enabled GeoTarget, you are free to begin creating custom content to appear for users in different geographic regions.
- GeoTarget shortcodes can be used in your Posts and Pages within the WordPress Admin Dashboard.
- GeoTarget environment variables can be used in PHP code to perform different actions based on geolocation.