Domain Connect and Automatic DNS Setup
Domain Connect is an open source tool that allows WP Engine to update DNS records on your behalf when using a supported DNS provider. This tool makes it easy to configure your DNS records to point to WP Engine! If you add a domain registered with a supported provider, you will automatically see the workflow outlined below.
Supported DNS Providers
- More coming soon!
NOTE: Although Cloudflare is supported, Global Edge Security automatic configuration is not yet supported.
Automatic Domain Connect Steps
Triggering the Domain Connect process only requires having a supported DNS provider then simply adding the domain to WP Engine’s User Portal.
- Log in to the User Portal
- Click on the environment name
- Select Domains
- Click the button for Add Domain
- If the domain is identified by WP Engine to be on a Domain Connect supported DNS provider, you will be asked if you would like to use the automated update process.
- If you click “No thanks” the domain will be added to the User Portal but no DNS changes will be made.
- Click Next, to be redirected to you DNS provider’s login form
- At this point, the domain will be added to our User Portal whether you complete the login steps or not.
- If you need to restart the automated “Domain Connect” update process, simply delete the domain and re-add it in the WP Engine User Portal.
- After signing in, confirm the connection with your DNS provider
- Once confirmed, the DNS changes will be made and they will be redirected back to the User Portal with a Success or Failure message.
Domain Connect Logs
You can view the Activity Log in the User Portal to see if a domain has successfully or unsuccessfully used Domain Connect to configure DNS settings.
Domain Connect actions will be logged like the following example:
If you are having trouble with using the automated Domain Connect system, check the following:
- Did you complete the entire process?
- You should have seen a login page for your domain provider. The login page would have asked for your username and password. After submitting those details, you should have been redirected back to WP Engine. If this doesn’t sound familiar, try again and be sure to complete the entire process.
- Did you use the right credentials?
- While using Domain Connect, you will need to use your login credentials for your DNS provider. Verify that you have the correct username and password. You can do this by going to your DNS provider directly and logging in there. If your credentials are incorrect, you will need to use your DNS providers “Reset Password” functionality. Once completed, try using Domain Connect again using your username and new password.
- Did you log in to the right DNS account?
- The username you use for Domain Connect to login to your DNS provider must own the domain name you are adding to WP Engine. You can verify this by logging into your DNS provider and checking if the domain exists for that user. If not, you will have to determine what user owns the domain and use those credentials instead.
- Domain Connect currently works with the following DNS providers: 1&1, GoDaddy and Cloudflare. (More coming soon!)
- Domain Connect implementation using 1&1 or Godaddy will not work on our clustered solutions (AWS), as these DNS providers do not support the CNAME flattening a cluster requires.
- If you are using Domain Connect with Cloudflare, clustered environments and CNAME flattening are both supported.
- Domain Connect does not presently work if you are utilizing the Global Edge Security (GES) offering.
- If your website is migrated to a new server environment, Domain Connect will not automatically know to update your DNS records.
- Either remove and re-add the Domain to your Domains page in the User Portal to reconnect
- Or, manually update the entries directly through your DNS host.
- Cloudflare and other Reverse proxy services: When using Cloudflare, Akamai, Incapsula, or other services involving a reverse proxy, Domain Connect will not be able to update your DNS records. Your DNS records will need to be configured manually with these services.