Domain Connect is an open source tool that allows WP Engine to update DNS records on your behalf using a supported DNS provider. This tool makes it easy to configure your DNS records to point to WP Engine! If you add a domain registered with a supported provider, you will automatically see the workflow outlined below.
Supported DNS Providers
- More coming soon!
Automatic Domain Connect Steps
- Start by adding your domain to your WP Engine User Portal. Navigate to Sites > Select your production environment > Domains. Click the blue button to Add Domain.
- If the domain is identified by WP Engine to be on a supported DNS provider, you will be asked if you would like to use the automated Domain Connect update process. At this point, if you click No thanks the domain will be added to User Portal but no DNS change will be made.
- If you click Next, you will be redirected to a screen prompting you to login to your DNS provider–1&1 in this example. Note: At this point, the domain will be added to User Portal whether you complete the authorization steps or not. If you need to restart the automated DNS update process, you will need to delete the domain and re-add it in the WP Engine User Portal.
- After signing in, confirm the connection with your DNS provider.
- Once confirmed, the DNS changes will be made and they will be redirected back to the User Portal with a Success or Failure message.
Logged Domain Connect Actions
You can view the Activity Log in the User Portal to see if a domain has successfully or unsuccessfully used Domain Connect to configure DNS settings.
If you are having trouble with using the automated Domain Connect system, check the following:
- Did you complete the entire process? You should have seen a login page for your domain provider. The login page would have asked for your username and password. After submitting those details, you should have been redirected back to WP Engine. If this doesn’t sound familiar, try again and be sure to complete the entire process.
- Did you use the right credentials? While using Domain Connect, you will need to use your login credentials for your DNS provider. Verify that you have the correct username and password. You can do this by going to your DNS provider directly and logging in there. If your credentials are incorrect, you will need to use your DNS providers “Reset Password” functionality. Once completed, try using Domain Connect again using your username and new password.
- Did you log in to the right DNS account? The username you use for Domain Connect to login to your DNS provider must own the domain name you are adding to WP Engine. You can verify this by logging into your DNS provider and checking if the domain exists for that user. If not, you will have to determine what user owns the domain and use those credentials instead.
- Domain Connect only works with the following DNS providers: 1&1 and GoDaddy. More coming soon!
- Due to our Domain Connect implementation only support 1&1 and Godaddy, Domain Connect will not work on our clustered solutions. You will need to manually update your DNS.
- If your website is migrated to a new server environment, Domain Connect will not automatically know to update your DNS records. You may either remove and re-add the Domain to your Domains page in the User Portal to reconnect with the new DNS entries, or manually update the entries through your DNS host.
- Cloudflare and other Reverse proxy services: When using Cloudflare, Akamai, Incapsula, or other services involving a reverse proxy, Domain Connect will not be able to update your DNS records. Your DNS records will need to be configured manually with these services.
- Domain connect will not work with our GES product.