This process will link your domain name to your WordPress environment on WP Engine.
Mapping a domain to your environment should be done when you are ready to “go live” with your WordPress website, or make it available at a custom domain of choice. This is typically done before modifying DNS records.
1. Navigate to the Domains page of your User Portal
- Login to the User Portal.
- Click on Sites at the top of the page.
- Select the production environment name from the list of environments.
- Click Domains on the left.
NOTE: Custom domains can only be added to your Production environment on Shared hosting plans. Domains cannot be added to Staging, Development, Legacy Staging or Transferrable sites. Accounts using our dedicated hosting service can add custom domains to Production, Staging and Development.
2. Add a New Domain
Click the blue Add domain button.
Enter your new custom domain.
NOTE: If you receive the error “Domain name has already been taken”, check out the related section at the end of this article.
3. Set the Primary Domain
Your site can resolve to only one domain, typically either the www or the non-www version. We call this the Primary Domain and is set after adding the domain by clicking Set as primary.
4. Add Domain Redirects
Once both the www and non-www versions of your domain have been added and one of them set as the Primary Domain, you can redirect the other by clicking Add redirect next to it:
5. (Optional) Redirect the default CNAME to your new Primary Domain
NOTE: Your domain should be mapped within WordPress to your new domain BEFORE setting this redirect. Otherwise, a conflict will occur causing a redirect loop and login page issues.
When you go “live” on a custom domain, you can choose to redirect your default environment CNAME (Ex: yourinstall.wpengine.com) to your new Primary Domain.
- To redirect your default URL to a custom domain, first select a custom domain to be your Primary Domain from the list.
- Click Add Redirect next to the default domain in your Domains list.
- Select the domain to which you’d like to redirect the default domain to from the Redirect to dropdown menu and Save.
A custom domain can only be applied to one environment at a time. The same domain cannot be added to multiple environments across any WP Engine accounts. You will see an error that the “Domain name has already been taken” if you try to add a domain that is already associated with another Environment.
If you encounter this error, please remove the domain from other Environments before attempting to add it to this one. If you see this error but cannot locate the domain name on your account, please contact WP Engine Support and they will help verify ownership of the domain.